WINCHESTER NETWORK: A COLLABORATIVE PROBLEM-SOLVING NETWORK OF SOME OF THE WORLD’S GREATEST GLOBALLY-MINDED ACADEMIC POWERHOUSES
The Winchester Network (sometimes Winchester International Network) is an informal name given to the grouping of schools that attend and participate in the Winchester International Symposium, an annual conference that has taken place since 2010. The group was convened by Winchester College, the oldest public school in England and considered one of the very best schools in the world.
The members of the network are similarly academically rigorous, private independent or public state schools from across the globe who take turns in administering and hosting the annual International Symposium. Each host school is responsible for setting the agenda for their conference, which typically focusses on matters of shared interest and addressing technological and management developments. The symposium’s primary purpose is to bring together students, teachers, and headmasters from ten leading schools around the world to discuss and address global challenges.
The Winchester International Symposium is a unique event in that it brings together students from a diverse range of backgrounds differing local cultures and global perspectives. The schools that participate in the symposium are located in ten different countries, and share a common outlook and ethos seeking to encourage their respective students to learn about different ways of thinking and to develop a global understanding of the world. The symposiums are also unique in that it they are largely student-led. The students who attend the symposium are responsible for steering the organisation of the event. They are also responsible for choosing the challenge topic and for developing creative solutions to the problem. This gives students a valuable opportunity to develop leadership skills and to learn how to work effectively with others.
The various Symposiums and projects delivered by the Winchester Network have given rise to a number of global initiatives bringing together a wide consortium of schools; including the Global Alliance of Leading-Edge Schools for Sustainability; the Water is Life project; the Strategic Alliance of Global Educators; and the Strategic Educational Alliance of South East Asia.
The member schools of the network that attend the symposiums are all highly-regarded and internationally renowned including:
- African Leadership Academy: a boarding school in South Africa that was founded in 2008. It is a leading school in Africa, and it is committed to developing future leaders for the continent;
- Colegio Claustro Moderno: a private school in Colombia that was founded in 1927. The school is one of the most prestigious schools in Colombia, and it is known for its strong academics and its commitment to social responsibility;
- Garodia International Centre for Learning; a private school in India that was founded in 1994. Garodia International is one of the leading schools in India, and is known for its innovative curriculum and its commitment to global education;
- Johannes Kepler Grammar School; a public school in the Czech Republic that was founded in 1576. It is one of the oldest and most prestigious schools in the Czech Republic, and it is known for its strong academics and its commitment to social justice;
- Karachi Grammar School (KGS); a famous private school in Pakistan that was founded in 1868. KGS is one of the leading schools in Pakistan, and it is known for its strong academics and its commitment to national development;
- Montgomery Bell Academy; a prestigious private school in Tennessee that was founded in 1858. MBA is one of the leading schools in the United States, and it is known for its strong academics and its commitment to leadership development;
- Nada High School; a private secondary school in Japan that was founded in 1927. NHS is one of the leading schools in Japan, and it is known for its strong academics and its commitment to international education;
- Raffles Institution; a government school and college in Singapore that was founded in 1823. RI is one of the leading schools in Singapore, and it is known for its strong academics and its commitment to excellence;
- Shiyan School; a public school in China that was founded in 1905. It is one of the leading schools in China, and it is known for its strong academics and its commitment to innovation; and
- Winchester College; a private boarding school in England that was founded in 1363 (a Public School in the British tradition). Winchester founded the network and symposium and is considered to be one of the most academically selective and prestigious boys schools in the world.
Outside of the symposiums, the member schools cooperate closely on a number of research projects and share experiences on management approaches and the development of global citizenship educational curricula. Many of the member schools also participate in a number of other international associations, including the Global Alliance of Leading-Edge Schools (GALES) founded by Raffles Institution. Furthermore, manny of the participating schools also take part in the corresponding Montgomery Bell Academy International network, with the Montgomery Bell Academy International Symposiums seeking to develop further the work of earlier Winchester International Symposiums.
MEMBERS AND ASSOCIATES
SELECT THE FIRST LETTER OF THE SCHOOL NAME BELOW OR CHOOSE LIST VIEW FOR A SIMPLE LIST OF ALL LISTED SCHOOLS. ALTERNATIVELY, YOU CAN SELECT SCHOOLS USING THE MAP BELOW.
HONEYDEW, ROODEPOORT, GAUTENG 2040, SOUTH AFRICA
GARODIA INTERNATIONAL / GICLM
55, 90 FEET ROAD, GHATKOPAR, MUMBAI 400077, MAHARASHTRA INDIA
PRE-SCHOOL, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOL
PLOT ST-19, KHAYABAN-E-SAADI, CLIFTON BLOCK 5, KARACHI 75600, PAKISTAN
PRE-SCHOOL, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOL
LIAONING PROVINCIAL EXPERIMENTAL MIDDLE SCHOOL / LIÁONÍNGSHĚNG SHÍYÀN ZHŌNGXUÉ / LNSYZX
89 HUANGNAN SOUTH STREET, HUANGGU DISTRICT, SHENYANG CITY, LIAONING 110841, CHINA
RAFFLES / RI
1 RAFFLES INSTITUTION LANE, BISHAN, SINGAPORE 575954
FURTHER EDUCATION COLLEGE